Lovevery is a fast-growing direct-to-consumer startup cofounded by successful serial entrepreneurs and based in Boise, Idaho. Our customers are parents, and our mission is to help them feel confident they are giving their children meaningful development experiences in the critical early years of life.
To achieve that with consistency, Lovevery needs to produce premium quality products with customer safety and satisfaction as top priorities. Lovevery is looking for a Director, Product Innovation, to source and ideate product concepts, helping to take these concepts through consumer testing to reality working with a cross-functional product development cycle that includes Design, Engineering, Content Creation and Manufacturing. This position reports directly to Cofounder and CEO Jessica Rolph. The following attributes in a candidate are essential to success in this role:
- Idea generation – Lovevery is one of the fastest growing companies in child development. Our best ideas come from marrying a need we see from children and their parents that can be satisfied more effectively with something innovative, science-based, and uniquely Lovevery. You have demonstrated capability delivering creative insights and ideas when you encounter customer needs. You live for brainstorming, and your passion for child development means your ideas will be fresh and amazing.
- Commitment to Human Centered Design - You have a Design Thinking mindset. You bring heaps of empathy when getting to know our customers, helping them to uncover their (sometimes hidden) needs and desires, and are open to feedback during the prototyping and testing process.
- Communication – We aim to hire good communicators in every role, but it is an especially critical quality for the person managing the development of our new products to be exceptional in this regard. This role in innovation interfaces across the entire company. You are skilled at structured and complete communication.
- Project Management – Work ethic, responsiveness, and results orientation matter in every role at Lovevery. With everyone driving hard to achieve the company’s goals, it is critical to have strong project planning skills and a structured approach to big decisions such as project scope and manufacturing tradeoffs.
- Competitive salary, benefits, and stock options package
- Apply the Design Thinking methodology to brainstorm, refine, and assess new product ideas inspired by children’s innate love of learning and a parent’s desire to feel confident that they are supporting their child’s development and growth.
- Travel to relevant trade shows and work with child development experts as input to new product generation and differentiation.
- Remain up to date on trends in the parent, baby and education space, and proactively bring those learnings and ideas to your day-to-day work.
- Document new product requirements in creative briefs and requirements documents for designers. Help refine Lovevery processes in this regard.
- Organize and execute customer tests at critical stages of product development.
- Estimate product costs in the early stages of development in partnership with other members of the product team.
- Work with Cofounders and Product, Marketing, Engineering, Operations teams to determine optimal product launch dates.
- Work with broader product development team to build and manage project schedule in order to drive product development activities toward agreed upon dates. Identify risks factors that could impact schedule, work to proactively resolve issues in order to maintain schedule.
- Work with overseas sourcing agents and factories to develop new products; travel to Asia 5 - 6 times per year expected.
- Review current products, manufacturing processes and customer feedback on an ongoing basis to determine where improvements can be made for both for cost, quality and overall customer satisfaction.
- Manage ideation process related to product revisions or updates on existing SKUs.
- Work with Engineering to review product iterations and prototypes to guarantee the needs and satisfaction of our customers will be met.
- Use feedback from customers to gain insight into the market. Apply learnings to improve both future and current products.
Qualifications and attributes:
- 5+ years of experience with product development and manufacturing processes, preferably with children’s products
- Overall aesthetic sensibility with the ability to visualize, conceptualize and imagine beautiful products that children will love
- Passion for child development and prior academic, personal, or professional experience with children is highly preferred
- BS in New Product Development or related field of study
- Outstanding academic track record; preference for candidates who attended rigorous academic programs
- Ability to manage multiple ongoing tasks at one time through excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong time management skills and the ability to adhere to deadlines
- Ability to work in a fluid, fast-paced environment
- Creative and resourceful