Lovevery is a mission-driven company, passionate about helping every parent feel confident that they are giving their child the best experiences in early childhood. Our team believes in the power of combining physical play products with digital education and support to create an ecosystem for parents that is unmatched by any other brand. In addition to our robust e-commerce platform, we are also building a digital product that gives parents stage-based activities and content, allows them to engage with experts and a community of parents, and makes it easy for parents to know how to promote their child’s development.
We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to join our team that owns the full end-to-end shopping experience as well as our digital content and community platform. You’ll work on every aspect of our customer journey from product discovery to becoming a subscriber to engaging with our rich, stage-based parent education platform. You will own the e-commerce platform spanning account and subscription management, checkout, payments and fulfillment, our content CMS, parent community and more. You will keep a platform focus in mind and will be responsible for architecting solutions that scale our global audience to millions of customers. You will continuously look for opportunities to enhance our technology, increase velocity and maintain a high quality bar. This is a full-stack role that covers architectural vision to implementation.
You’re great for this role if you
- Are a go-to team member for Technical Design and Architecture - Your current teammates rely on you when they have questions about how to build things - where API boundaries should live, how to improve performance of a system, what new technologies to employ. They describe you as someone they learn from and look up to.
- Are Experienced and Able to Learn Quickly - You have deep expertise in building, deploying, monitoring and scaling systems. You can quickly architect and build elegant user-facing features and backend systems. While you love learning new technologies, this is not an area where you need to ramp up.
- Are a Strong Collaborator and Communicator - You’ll enjoy working in a world-class cross-functional team where strong communication and collaboration are a key part of your success. You often present internally on technical topics and can translate complex technical situations to business leaders in critical decision-making moments.
- Have a Full-Stack View and Love Coding - You will be working on a solution that extends from the back-end and the data model to the UI. You’ll deliver user stories and features and non-functional requirements such as scalability, performance, security, and testability.
- Are Quality-Focused - You will be a champion for building quality code and are willing to write the test before the code.
- Are Pragmatic and Business-Minded - You will define the ideal technical solution and at the same time articulate the building blocks and roadmap to that solution while working with the broader digital product team to articulate business trade-offs for each roadmap item.
- Architect and deliver new product and platform features, optimize existing features, own the frameworks and systems needed to deliver the product vision, roadmap, and strategy.
- Lead delivery of product and platform features, working closely with a product team consisting of Product Managers, UX Designers and other developers to deliver functionality that delights our customers.
- Define and establish software development best practices and patterns. Author technical design documents and facilitate design reviews and cross-training within the engineering team.
- Write code considering security, testability, maintainability, scalability, and performance, that serves as a model for the rest of the team. Make technical recommendations on build vs buy decisions.
- Mentor and pair with mid-level and junior software engineers in order to develop their skills and understanding of the architecture, code, programming languages and frameworks employed within the Lovevery platform.
- You are passionate about understanding the customer and delivering an amazing customer experience through digital solutions. You think parenthood and early childhood are inspiring areas to work on.
- You have a proven track record as a top performer for 5+ years in a senior or principal engineer role, preferably at an e-commerce company.
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or a related field preferred. Masters degree is a plus.
- You have deep experience working with SQL and relational databases, caching solutions such as Redis or Memcached, search solutions such as ElasticSearch, data warehouse solutions such as Redshift, messaging solutions such as Kafka, and designing and using a CI/CD framework.
- You have experience using and architecting solutions in a cloud-based architecture such as AWS.
- You have familiarity with Docker, Kubernetes or any other containerization product and microservices architectures.
- You have an ability to balance user and business impact that has been informed over the years by shipping creative and highly successful consumer tech products.
- You are a highly effective collaborator that thrives working with teams to solve complicated challenges.
- You are self driven taking complete ownership of your tasks and championing efforts to drive solutions.
- You thrive in your ability to solve complex challenges.
- Your written and oral communications are clear, concise, and thorough.
Our Benefits Include
- Competitive salary, benefits, and stock options package
- The usual paid holidays and a few extras (ex. Election day)
- Paid maternity or paternity leave
- MacBooks are our standard, but we’re happy to get you whatever equipment helps you get your job done
- Free/discounted Lovevery products